So who else is back from Tahoe?

renaissancemanla

Premier Member
Credits
Just got back to LA a few hours ago. Overall, a successful trip for me (my second time up to Tahoe for this event). Overall, I thought the field, though strong, was a little less impressive than last year (no Marino or Gretzky, and Lemiuex pulled out. Wasn't Emmitt there last year too?), though that was offset by some decent additions like Maddux, Smoltz, and de la Hoya. I'm sure there were a few others, but overall, most of the field was similar to last year (though of course, no LT or Roethlisberger either!). Overall, the tournament felt a little less crowded than last year, but I heard they sold more individual tix for Saturday than any other day in the tourney's history (mind you I heard that at a blackback table). I was there for the aforementioned baseball greats, as well as (like everyone else, Jordan). Gotta give MJ credit - he signed a lot more each on Friday and Saturday than I remember him doing all weekend combined last year. It was the usual clusterf^ck, but I lucked out on Saturday and he signed my jersey - at that point, I was figuratively playing with house money (I left early today - did he sign as much again?). It took a bunch of tries, but I finally got both Smoltz and Maddux early this morning - if you're truly dedicated, it pays to show up at 7am, when the grounds are much less crowded and the players seem to not be feeling so overwhelmed by people accosting them. The other gets I was happiest about were Sterling Sharpe, who I remember denying me last year, as well as Marshall Faulk, who wasn't signing memorabilia, but who had a nice photo spread in the official program. I got a handful of other guys in the program, just if there was a moment where I could get a quick sig, i.e. Holtz, Spurrier (only signed program), Testaverde, Dilfer, T Edwards, Ozzie Smith, Ogden (a tough sig to get, and I think he only signed programs). I didn't bother with a lot of guys I got last year, i.e. Aaron Rodgers who was only signing the program. I don't understand the rabid fandom, but to his credit, Tony Romo signed a ton for everyone trying to get his signature. Bettis and de la Hoya too. Stephen Curry seemed to sign a lot and I remember Jason Kidd signing well last year. If I come back next year, I'd consider bringing jerseys for them, as well as Matt Ryan who seemed to sign a ton. Barkley was a great signer last year, but I don't think I saw him sign anything this weekend. Jerry Rice signed a bunch, but only in the programs. I didn't bother with Elway since he seemed to be only signing the programs (and only a few of those at that), but I was amazed to see someone get into an argument with him when he wouldn't sign a jersey - way to sour the guy for everybody else. Overall, I'm happy with my haul, but unless they get some great new players, don't think I ever need to go back - I always feel like I need a long shower after spending a weekend with all of the "professional" autograph collectors who run around feeling entitled while trying to get multiple signatures, and make things hard for people who only want a single signature for their collection.