Fedor Emelianenko

rainierfan

Lifetime Member
Credits
Fans invited to Wednesday's Fedor Emelianenko open workout in New York City
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm ET

Recent Strikeforce signee and famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko is the focus of an open workout, meet and greet, and autograph signing held this Wednesday in New York City.

The media and fan event is free and open to the public.

The event takes place at Fighthouse, located at 122 W. 27th St. (second floor) in the Big Apple, and begins at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET.

Emelianenko, a longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion, is 30-1 and one of the top fighters in MMA history. However, after Affliction Entertainment ceased promotional operations last month, the Russian fighter began contract negotiations with both the UFC and Strikeforce.

Because the UFC is unwilling to co-promote Emelianenko's fights with M-1 (an organization co-owned by Emelianenko and his manager, Vadim Finkelchtein), the fighter ultimately signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce.

Emelianenko is scheduled to make his promotional debut on a Showtime-televised card this fall, though a date and opponent have not been determined. As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) reported earlier this month, though, the fight is expected to take place in November, according to Strikeforce founder and CEO Scott Coker.

"It's probably going to be in November," Coker said of Emelianenko's organizational debut. "I definitely think there's two guys here that would be a quality opponent for Fedor.

"I think Brett Rogers is one of the guys we have to take a serious look at. And Fabricio (Werdum) looked great [in an Aug. 15 win over Mike Kyle]. I think on any given day he could do his thing."

In addition to Emelianenko, Coker and Finkelchtein will also be on hand for Wednesday's open workout.

For more information about the event or Fighthouse, go to Fighthouse or call (212) 807-9202.