George Riley - gauge of interest

Astrofan5

Founding Member
Credits
I got a card back signed today from George Riley who played for the Cubs (1979-1980), the Giants (1984), and Expos (1986), along with a note. He said he has had a significant part of his colon removed due to cancer - and as a result, has lost his home and job. To top it all off, his wife of 19 years also died. All of this has happened to him in the past year. He asked if there was any way I could help him out, he'd appreciate it. It was a heart-felt and heartbreaking note.

The only way I know to help him out would be to pay him to sign some items, so I'm asking if anyone would be interested assuming he would be agreeable - I can't imagine he'd turn it down. I wouldn't say he's really a tough signer, but he has moved so frequently, he's been tough to track down. At this time, I do not know any pricing, it may even be for a "freewill" donation.

George has 1981 Donruss and 1981 Topps cards, along with a handful of minor league issues (including Reading Phillies Amy!).

Please post if you would be interested in sending in any items. If there is enough interest, I'll get in contact with George and go from there. I didn't want to contact him first and dangle it in front of him if there is no significant interest.

Thanks for reading!

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
If I have his cards I'm in...I should have the Topps at least.

Autograph Amy

Founding Member
Credits
I DO have cards for him so I"m in. At astrosfan..the name was familiar as soon as I read this...thanks for reminding which Rphils set he was in..makes it easier for me to find! LOL!

otter

Founding Member
Credits
would be interested

Astrofan5

Founding Member
Credits
I'll send him the request and let you all know what he says. Thanks for the interest.

CAsoldier

Premier Member
Credits
I may be interested as well. I think its great when our hobby can do something to help others. Maybe it can give us autograph collectors a positive light for a change