German Barranca Private Signing

kcroyalty29

Premier Member
Credits
I am working on an all-time Royals collection of signed baseball cards and the TOUGHEST signature to get, barnone, is Don O'Riley, who was killed while working at a convenience store in KC in the late 1990's during a holdup.

The second toughest is German Barranca, who played a couple of seasons with the Royals and Reds from 1979-1982 (two with each team).

Barranca is a Mexican born middle infielder who hasn't signed autographs in years. Think Steve Hovley or Dr. Mike Marshall, but much more difficult to find simply because he only had TCMA issued cards (although several TCMA cards, as he toiled in AAA until the late 1980's).

I have attempted him via mail three times over the past two years, including sending a check for $40. I have had a friend who lives in Harrisburg travel to York, PA. where he resides, and even tried to get him IP. Refused. I later found out that my girlfriend (who speaks fluent Spanish) called him at work to try and surprise me for my Birthday. Refused.

Enter David Cameron, who put together a Danny Rios private signing for me (currently in Spain) and is one of the most reputable at private signings in the hobby. He has knocked out countless holes for me and sevreal others, and I'm sure plenty will vouch for him.

He has been trying to get Barranca for me since before the Rios signing he put together. He found someone Barranca worked with to begin with and attempted to go that route, and Barranca nearly blew a gasket toward his co-worker and told him to cut off contact with Mr. Cameron and that he wanted nothing to do with anything baseball related.

Mr. Cameron finally decided to go one last ditch effort with Barranca and approach him with an actual dollar amount with the promise that he wouldn't share any info. about his whereabouts and that he'd leave him alone for good.

Finally he has agreed to sign, as of today, but the bad news is that its $50 per signature and $500 minimum (he wants at least ten items).

I'm willing to provide five, but I can't afford any more than that.

I know there are several who collect Mexican Born baseball players and some other Royals and Reds all-time collectors out there. I'm hoping you'd consider purchasing a signature or two from Barranca.

I can tell you this will probably be the only chance we ever get to get him. Not that there's a huge demand, but if you are collecting anything that needs him, this would be the chance.

Barranca has never signed TTM and I've only seen one item of his on EBAY the last four years - a contract that he signed while with the Omaha Royals. I once saw an index card for sale in Smalling but I only collect cards. So that's two items in four years, no cards or baseballs.

Please let me know ASAP if you're "in" for this, as we need to know soon.

I'm fully aware the price is steep and I'm not particularly happy about it, but I'm willing to pay it simply because if he would ever pass away, I'd never get a chance to get a baseball card signed by him and compelte my project. He's one of the final holes I need and I know he's impossible.

Let me know and thank you. I appreciate your consideration in hopefully making this signing a reality.

Dave

elpaso

Lifetime Member
Credits
Count me in.
All of my cards are with someone in PA right now.

I have the following
Cincinnati Reds jersey 1981 or 1982
77 Jacksonville
83 Evansville
84 Oklahoma City
85 Waterbury

All of the sxtra cards that will be sent, he can keep them.

Please advise the cost, if different then $250.00 and where to send payment.

This will be my Christmas present to myself.:)

kcroyalty29

Premier Member
Credits
re: El Paso

I'll PM this to you as well, but glad to hear you're "in" for the signing. This is actually my Christmas present to myself as well - I've been like you and trying to get this guy for years, and I think he pretty much just said "I'll sign for money if you'll leave me alone" by doing this. David Cameron has done hundreds of these things and somehow pulls this off time and time again.

David Cameron is currently in Peru, so his sister will be handling the transaction with Mr. Barranca.

Please send the money, plus the cards and SASE, BEFORE 12/22 to:

David Cameron
PO Box 7961
Fresno, CA 93747

By the way, only cards and 3X5's are $50. He wants $100 for balls, jerseys, anything else, so you may want to save yourself a pile of money and just go for the cards, unless the jersey is that important.

Just be sure and get the stuff there by Monday, 12/22, as she is to take care of things shortly after that.

Dave

Bensontim

Premier Member
Credits
I understand Don O'Riley is the toughest Royal to get now because he has passed away, but was he a willing signer before his death? Shouldn't there be some autographs of him out there? Also in researching Mr. O'Riley I found a site called the Deadballera.com that lists players obits as well as pictures their gravestones. Kind of different.

I am also curious that if you only collect signed trading cards surely there have been some Royals who have not appeared on cards before. Do you still try to get them?

kcroyalty29

Premier Member
Credits
There is only one player in Royals history to not appear on a trading card - Mike Jackson, who pitched in the 1970's with several times (no, not THAT Mike Jackson from the Mariners)

He is the only one to never have a card - the Roylas started in 1969 so that helps.

kcroyalty29

Premier Member
Credits
Oh and to answer your question, I got him on a custom card. But he's the only one - everyoen else has to be on an officially issued card, whether it be TCMA, CMC or any of the major distributors.

elpaso

Lifetime Member
Credits
Your Mike Jackson may have a 1972 Puerto Rico Winter League card issue, if he played for Santurce or Ponce.

It is listed on the Lake Country Minor League Prospects CD of minor league cards.

kcroyalty29

Premier Member
Credits
ElPaso-

THANK YOU so much for the heads up - I'll check into this.

Please PM me and let me know the status of which stuff you're sending for German.

Thanks!

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
Check Beckett.com as well, there are several dealers there that sell singles from obscure minor league and oddball team sets.