Tim Beckham thought?

mrmain18

Founding Member
Credits
What does this mean for Just Minors with Scott Jordan jumping ship?

Hoffy814

Founding Member
Credits
so Beckham, Skipworth, & Havens will ONLY be in "Razor" cards for the next 3 years or until they make the bigs?

They will have cards with Bowman, but they will not have autographs or memoribilia. Just like A-Rod had a deal with Topps, yet they still put out Upper Deck cards, he just had his autographs and memoribilia with Topps. This angered the prospectors because they live and die with Bowman & Bowman Chrome, with no big shot DP's having autographs in the set, it makes it worthless to them.

leafschik1967

Premier Member
Credits
They will have cards with Bowman, but they will not have autographs or memoribilia. Just like A-Rod had a deal with Topps, yet they still put out Upper Deck cards, he just had his autographs and memoribilia with Topps. This angered the prospectors because they live and die with Bowman & Bowman Chrome, with no big shot DP's having autographs in the set, it makes it worthless to them.

I don't think so. I believe the deal is exclusive for base cards as well. Those guys won't be in anything but Razor. Topps signs players to individual deals for trading cards, and none of these guys fall under the MLBPA to allow them into the set on other grounds.

Hoffy814

Founding Member
Credits
I don't think so. I believe the deal is exclusive for base cards as well. Those guys won't be in anything but Razor. Topps signs players to individual deals for trading cards, and none of these guys fall under the MLBPA to allow them into the set on other grounds.
Actually, you are right. I read the website the day they signed him and it just listed autographs, but I guess alot of people asked them and they updated it. I know on BMB, everyone thought that he would have an Elite and BDP/BCDP, but they were told otherwise later that day.

BDP is going to take a huge hit then.

sMatt

Founding Member
Credits
Alan I know a lot has to go into these things so this is just a thought and maybe there should be a seperate thread for things like this but I decided to post this here because it involves signings... anyway I know Tim is currently at Princeton which is rookie ball... also from what I hear he is very hard in-person and personalizes everything already. Anyway my thought was to maybe contact the agent (whoever he is) about having something with Beckham. So far I haven't seen anything of his yet and I figure mind as well go after him early before his prices keep going up as he keeps moving up. I think there would be a TON of interest here as well as other sites it could be posted on and for a fairly good rate I think people would def. consider it especially with him already becoming tough before the age of 20. Thanks for reading this Alan and if you want to delete this go ahead but just a thought

I disagree with the urgency in setting up more and more of these guys with private signings. Even though he basically has no cards out now, his stock may be higher now than it ever will be in the future. I'm not saying he is going to flop, I'm just saying he was just the #1 overall pick and he still has 3-5 years of kicking around the minor leagues. Even if he tears it up through the minors, his stuff can't get a lot higher than it already is until he continues the act into the majors.

The way I see it, this guy will be at several more spring trainings, fall leagues, and will be making 4-5 stops through different leagues in the minors on his way up. Most of this board should still have some opportunity to see him in one way or another. I really think it'd work out a lot better for all of us if we limit the private signing stuff to guys we can't get otherwise. If you do really need a ball/picture right now for some reason, eBay would probably have one cheaper than the signing would cost anyway.

If anyone is real anxious to do a private signing, feel free to tie down guys like BJ Wallace, Brien Taylor, Ray McDavid, Chance Caple, etc, and I'll be interested. Private signings are just not the way I envision getting autographs of rookie ball players.

Laurens

Founding Member
Credits
I feel the same way 100 percent, but you are not going stop the collector/dealer/promoter who has the means to do private signings. A year from now, if Beckham is as good as advertised, I bet Locker Room Memorabilia locks him up, or maybe Alan or maybe Hollywood Collectibles or Tristar.

Money talks and chasing your top prospects through the lower levels of the minors maybe a thing of the past as fas as just getting the guy with no conditions/strings attached.

I disagree with the urgency in setting up more and more of these guys with private signings. Even though he basically has no cards out now, his stock may be higher now than it ever will be in the future. I'm not saying he is going to flop, I'm just saying he was just the #1 overall pick and he still has 3-5 years of kicking around the minor leagues. Even if he tears it up through the minors, his stuff can't get a lot higher than it already is until he continues the act into the majors.

The way I see it, this guy will be at several more spring trainings, fall leagues, and will be making 4-5 stops through different leagues in the minors on his way up. Most of this board should still have some opportunity to see him in one way or another. I really think it'd work out a lot better for all of us if we limit the private signing stuff to guys we can't get otherwise. If you do really need a ball/picture right now for some reason, eBay would probably have one cheaper than the signing would cost anyway.

If anyone is real anxious to do a private signing, feel free to tie down guys like BJ Wallace, Brien Taylor, Ray McDavid, Chance Caple, etc, and I'll be interested. Private signings are just not the way I envision getting autographs of rookie ball players.

Hoffy814

Founding Member
Credits
Some news on his "exclusive" deal with Razor which is now not-so-exclusive. I present to you an email from TriStar & The National this morning :

Tristar Productions has added to the already great VIP Gift Package. Each VIP will receive 5 cards of a 7-card Tristar 2008 Prospects Plus Preview set.The additional 2 cards will be available at the Tristar Corporate Booth through a wrapper redemption. Set includes Overall number 1 2008 Draft Pick Tim Beckham (Tampa Bay) and Cubs Pick Ryan Flaherty.

These are the others from this set:
Tim Beckham Tampa Bay 2008 #1 Overall Draft Pick
Ike Davis New York (NL) 2008 1st Round Draft Pick
David Cooper Toronto 2008 1st Round Draft Pick
Reese Havens New York (NL) 2008 1st Round Draft Pick
Shooter Hunt Minnesota 2008 Draft Pick
Lonnie Chisenhall Cleveland 2008 1st Round Draft Pick
Ryan Flaherty Chicago (NL) 2008 Draft Pick