Tom Orr doing a signing with Randy Myers

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
Another email from Tom, he has a very limited signing with Randy Myers on 12/17. Myers if you don't know is damn near as tough as Dr. Mike Marshall. Pretty steep but if you need him for a set you're working on it's about the only shot at getting him as he rarely does anything at all.

"THIS IS LIMITED TO ONLY 36 CARDS!!

He will sign 24 Chicago Cubs cards at $75 and 12 cards from other teams for $95.

Once the 12 card limit on non Cub cards is reached, I cannot take any more non Cub cards.
Once the 36 card total limit is met, I cannot take anymore cards at all. It is a first come, first serve basis.

Chicago Cubs card......$75 + SASE
All other cards......$95 + SASE"

Last edited:

82brewers

Lifetime Member
Credits
thats a very bizzare restriction for a signing. but again its randy myers, i used to see this guy come off the team bus dressed in camoflauge carrying a full sized coleman cooler(more than 1 time). also never saw him sign his entire career.

SteveG34

Founding Member
Credits
He showed up to the BAT Dinner this past January wearing jeans, boots and a camoflauge jacket. 99.9% of the other players were in suits and ties.

scoreset

Credits
Yeah, "Randy Myers" and "bizarre" have been mentioned in the same sentence more times than I can count, lol. I don't know why he has such an affinity for the Cubs, but I do know his signing habits devolved over the years but were always strange.

When he was with the Mets, he would only sign current year cards, and he always dated them. Ex: 3/87 for a card he signed in March. By 1988 he figured he was wasting precious seconds of his life adding the year, since after all, he was only signing current year cards. So a card he signed in March of '88 was usually just "Randy Myers 3." He was actually fairly cool about signing beyond that one restriction (quirk?) until 1989 when he was all of a sudden very tough. When he was traded to the Reds, he updated his "policy" to current year, current team. It wasn't long after that he stopped signing pretty much altogether. You could NOT break this guy down either. He simply wouldn't do it.

So yeah, he's not a huge name, but he's on just about every set collector's want list from the late 80s through the 90s. And considering how tough he was and the fact that he was an All-Star a few times, and a WS Champ with the '90 Reds, $95 isn't really crazy compared to the prices some hotshot prospects are getting who haven't even proven themselves yet.

scoreset

Credits
I also once heard that he stashed his MLB per diem every single day. Never spent a cent of it. Don't know if that's true, but if so, he built himself up a pretty sizeable nest egg. Another reason he hasn't had a reason to do signings. Maybe that well is running dry?

82brewers

Lifetime Member
Credits
yes, i remember him telling us, current team cards only. the only problem was, there wasnt any. we caught him before the current card had come out. baltimore, padres and reds i remember him doing this to us.

scoreset

Credits
Yup, he was famous for that!

Orioles_Fan_1983

Premier Member
Credits
I also recall him driving a rusty, mid-80's sedan when he played with the Orioles. Also, hiding training grenades throughout the clubhouse just prior to a visit by President Clinton.

The only time he ever responded to my request for an autograph was one night when he said "sorry, I don't sign after dark." A friend once said he told him "I don't sign on weekdays."

greatsacman

Lifetime Member
Credits
I remember being over the dugout at Oakland Coliseum visitors side. He came in after warm ups, looked right at me for some reason, gave me the "cool guy head bob" and wanted to sign my ball. So I threw it down to him and he SP'd me. Man I was pissed.

Back then I knew he was tough but I didn't even ask you to sign Randy. Very strange. I think I still have the ball.