What a sick event

psugator02

Lifetime Member
Credits
BOSTON -- Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is one of the more well-respected individuals in the game of baseball. When he needs something all he has to do is pick up his cell phone and just about everyone will answer.

Especially when Ortiz is asking his peers to help out children, no one denies his request.

Along with Red Sox manager Terry Francona and pitching coach John Farrell, teammates Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Lowell, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield will join Ortiz for his second annual celebrity golf tournament Dec. 3-6 at Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic.

The David Ortiz Children's Fund helps children in New England and the Dominican Republic who do not have access to critical pediatric services.

Other major league players set to attend the event include: Yankees' Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez, the Angels' Torii Hunter and Vladimir Guerrero, the Phillies' Pedro Martinez and Ryan Howard are also scheduled to attend.

Former Red Sox players Sean Casey, Jim Rice and Luis Tiant, along with Bruins legend Bobby Orr and Celtic great Jon Havlicek will also attend the event.

"I'm looking forward to gathering with all my friends for the second annual David Ortiz Celebrity Golf Tournament," Ortiz said. "It is a wonderful opportunity to showcase my home country while raising money for children who can't afford the healthcare they need. Everyone who participates is making a difference in the lives of these children."

The inaugural tourney in 2008 raised over $300,000.

"Seeing the support from everyone I called to come to my event and all the money we collected. It was pretty good," said Ortiz. "We helped a lot of children."

In addition to the event, there is an online auction that can be accessed by logging on to David Ortiz Golf Classic - Home.

tummy34

Founding Member
Credits
Hopefully the scheduled guests will actually show up and and hope Papi doesnt get hammered and actually shows up himself. Lets just say he decided to skip an event he was scheduled to be at very recently b/c of his liquid activities.

FenwayFrank

Premier Member
Website
cardboardlegends.blogspot.com
Credits
On a more relevant note, has anyone looked at the auction items for the Golf Charity? Getting fielding lessons from Pedroia would be pretty cool, but how many people are jumping at the chance to have a tee-off with Mark Wahlberg, or a Gibson guitar signed by Papi, Wilmer Valderamma, and the Jonas Brothers?

Hoffy814

Founding Member
Credits
Hopefully the scheduled guests will actually show up and and hope Papi doesnt get hammered and actually shows up himself. Lets just say he decided to skip an event he was scheduled to be at very recently b/c of his liquid activities.

They all showed last year, they had a report on TV on it a few days ago actually.