Frank Williams Private Signing (Hard to Find & Homeless)

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
Not to get off-topic, but WOW $120,000 in pension money/year from MLB! That's pretty incredible!

Yeah, wild...esp. considering he's been out of the game for almost 20 years. Imagine what today's players are gonna get!

alanmoore

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
I told Brad that we would easily have 50 cards but probably over 100. I am about to announce this on SCN as well.

Frank was already told about my proposal and was very excited that people still remember/need his autograph.

Something else I found today online, "He began life as an orphan abandoned in Seattle, grew up in foster homes and made it all the way to the top of professional baseball. He pitched a respectable six years with the San Francisco Giants, the Cincinnati Reds and the Detroit Tigers. And then it all disappeared in a bad marriage, alcoholism and a horrific car crash.

...He played for the famous Sparky Anderson, manager of the Detroit Tigers, and for the disgraced Pete Rose of Cincinnati, now stripped of all baseball honours over his gambling. During his Cincinnati years, as a young member of the bullpen, Williams said he even placed bets for Rose.

And after, when Williams was traded to Detroit and Rose had been exposed, Anderson told him, “You know, Pete’s my boy” and then proceeded to play him game after game after game. Before the season was over, his arm was “blown out.”

Williams sometimes wonders if those non-stop playing days in Detroit weren’t some kind of payback over what happened to Rose. And he also wonders if Rose didn’t trade him in the first place out of jealousy. The manager’s wife and her friends would sometimes talk the young pitcher into taking them clubbing."