november sun times show

SoBrave

Charter Member
Credits
I never ordered my Cole Hamels tickets cause I was debating paying such a high god damn price for him. I was only going to do 1 big piece. MEH. I know someone can get him for me in Philly or somewhere.

I agree he would not have sold 50 tickets...

greedy19

Lifetime Member
Credits
That's the problem with these guys that are still playing. They would rather not waste a few hours of their time to sign autographs. It isn't like they could use a few extra thousand anyway. Besides, I did not even consider paying that price for him when I could get others combined for a c-note.

nbrock624

Premier Member
Credits
He just never made any sense. The Phillies are a popular team for sure, but having Cole at that price in the midwest was a tough sell to begin with in this economy, but you couple that with his poor postseason/comments and it would have been hard to justify the price unless you were a huge fan or a WS collector. These are the types of guys who don't sell in this economy. People will still pay a lot for local stars or living legends but the Hamels types just aren't that appealing in Chicago. As for the point of these guys not wanting to sign for a few hours, I think that's off the mark here. Clearly going by his comments, Cole sounded like he is trying to get away from everything for awhile and the poor ticket sales probably made mounted memories not mind too much

salty99

Premier Member
Credits
He just never made any sense. The Phillies are a popular team for sure, but having Cole at that price in the midwest was a tough sell to begin with in this economy, but you couple that with his poor postseason/comments and it would have been hard to justify the price unless you were a huge fan or a WS collector. These are the types of guys who don't sell in this economy. People will still pay a lot for local stars or living legends but the Hamels types just aren't that appealing in Chicago. As for the point of these guys not wanting to sign for a few hours, I think that's off the mark here. Clearly going by his comments, Cole sounded like he is trying to get away from everything for awhile and the poor ticket sales probably made mounted memories not mind too much

While I agree with most of this, Evan Longoria did pretty brisk business when he was here a year ago or so.

nbrock624

Premier Member
Credits
Excellent point about Longoria although I think the bloom was on his rose at that time. Had Hamels been here a year ago off the WS and a win, then I think he would have done fine. But, he was disappointing during the regular season and even more so in the playoffs. With his comments, perception of him is down for certain. Longo was a ROY and had a good postseason (not the WS though). I love that they bring in current stars because this is the only Sun-Times show where that is possible for baseball. If I recall they had Hanley Ramirez a few years ago too. They just need to be careful in selecting which guys they go after. Longo is a real star and I think he'd do fine anywhere despite not being a local guy. good point though