Todd Frazier Reds Autograph Signing

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
LOL, I'm always happy with 1, but I also notice when a player's attitude towards signing does a 180. People who need to make $20-30 a pop for graphs are the greedy ones.

They aren't getting $20-30 a pop. They charge about $10 per autograph at Sports Gallery. The store owners have to supply the balls and other unsigned items themselves, and the player pockets a small amount. They aren't making much - neither is the player.

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
I love how people promoting an overpriced show generalize everyone who collects in person. Irony at it's finest.
Maybe someone is working 2-3 sets and needs that player on each card. Does that make them greedy?

I'm not promoting the event. I'm a fan who collects in person myself. I have no affiliation with Sports Gallery. I've simply purchased from them before and they do good work. Who "needs" a player on multiple cards? Be thankful if he signs one and get the others next time.

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
So, if someone shows up and wants 10 autograph tickets, you're going to tell them "Sorry, only one per person?"

No, I was simply referring to when a player signs for free and the fan wants/expects/demands more than 1 graph, or calls the player "tight" if he only signs 1. If you pay for 10, you are certainly entitled to 10.

HollandGraphs

Lifetime Member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
No issues with that. We fans should be thankful for just 1 graph. Anyone wanting more is just greedy.

This just hits me all wrong.

Ok first off, Most people are thankful to get 1 autograph.
I on the hand prefer to get as many cards signed as possible because if I am paying for gas, ticket, etc. I want the most for my money. Most of the time the autos just sit in my card catalog along with the other thousands but I like to have some extra available to trade.

What is funny is that there are several signings on here alone with former proven major league ballplayers for $5 and $10. Why would anyone pay $20 for Todd Frazier?

Im going to take your line, Anyone paying for Todd Frazier is Just Stupid.

mrmain18

Founding Member
Credits
There have been a ton of signings with current Reds this year--lots more than 5 years ago when I last lived in town. The guys at cincycardshows.com have been bringing in guys to their auctions a lot lately too. Zack Cozart and the lovely & talented Homer Bailey were just there.

snuffytut

Founding Member
Credits
They aren't getting $20-30 a pop. They charge about $10 per autograph at Sports Gallery. The store owners have to supply the balls and other unsigned items themselves, and the player pockets a small amount. They aren't making much - neither is the player.

Yes the players are getting a fee, and given that they are giving up a couple of hours or so of their time, it't a pretty good hourly wage. If you think that the store owners are "providing" unsigned items you are clearly misinformed. They are buying those items at wholesale prices, and selling those items at a nice markup to their customers. Likely not going to get rich on this signing, given that it is Frazier, but there is plenty of room there for money to be made. As for greedy, store owners aren't in it for charity, they're in it to make a living- there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the price don't pay it. Most players will get easier at some point down the road.

Most of us who ask for more than one card to be signed are not making a living, a profit, or anything close to it, and would be better off economically if we didn't ask for any autographs at all. That's a pretty strange form of greedy if you ask me.

Chris

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
I'm not promoting the event. I'm a fan who collects in person myself. I have no affiliation with Sports Gallery. I've simply purchased from them before and they do good work. Who "needs" a player on multiple cards? Be thankful if he signs one and get the others next time.

My issue here is that just over 20 posts you seem to be extrapolating a lot about me from my original post. I NEVER "demand" autographs and completely understand that players are in no way obligated to sign. If a guy does 1, then so be it, I'm cool with that. But when a guy like Frazier who used to happily sign stacks and converse with fans goes to a surly 1-per, then he shows up at an over-priced signing, you have to think there's a correlation. So thanks for your "advice" but it's not needed.

Milkywai

Lifetime Member
Credits
The idea when it comes to collecting is "try to get as many as you can...within reason". This goes for any type of collection: stamps, coins, etc. Obviously if you get only one auto/coin/stamp you will still be very thankful to add it, but if you are able to get more, why not try? This is where "graphing etiquette" comes into play, but you can see my point. Duplicates can be used to trade and expand your collection. Scoreset has helped me a ton personally + gave me amazing deals with his duplicates.

icee82

Premier Member
Credits
FYI, Todd Frazier is signing free at the Cincinnati Bell store on Thursday, June 21 in Crestview Hills, KY. In fact I am traveling from North Carolina to that signing as well as bunch of other free events that weekend in which you can graph! It is going to be a "working" vacation!!! The Sports Gallery does excellent work and I have done with business with Mark on multiple occasions and have always been very happy with everything. I have probably participated in six signings that he has had.