2009 Houston Astros Caravan

Shawn_E.

Founding Member & MiLB Photographer
Website
www.myspace.com
Credits
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Staff ace Roy Oswalt and starting right fielder Hunter Pence will be among the Houston contingent when the Astros visit Corpus Christi for their annual Winter Caravan Luncheon Thursday, January 22, at the Omni Bayfront Hotel. The event, presented by the Hooks, the Caller-Times and ClearChannel Radio, gets under way at 11:30 a.m.

Oswalt, seventh in career wins among active National League pitchers, has announced that he will play for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic this March. The right-hander won a gold medal with Team USA during the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney. In eight seasons with the Astros, Oswalt has a career record of 129-64 with a 3.13 ERA.

“To have one of the top pitchers in the sport make a visit to Corpus Christi is a rare opportunity for our fans here in South Texas,” stated Hooks president Ken Schrom. “Oswalt has earned his place among the game’s elite and we’re delighted to welcome him to our city.”

The Major League leader in wins since his debut with the Astros in 2001, Oswalt is a three-time National League All-Star and captured the 2005 National League Championship Series MVP with two victories over the St. Louis Cardinals. Oswalt is 4-0 with a 3.66 ERA in eight post-season appearances and last season went 17-10 for the Astros, his fourth year with 17 or more wins.

Pence, who helped lead the Hooks to the Texas League title in 2006, has become a star in his own right over the last two seasons with the Astros. The right fielder made a splash when he debuted with the Astros in late April of 2007 and was named the NL Rookie of the Month in May of that year. Pence finished third in balloting for National League Rookie of the Year in 2007 behind winner Ryan Braun and runner-up Troy Tulowitzki.

Last season, Pence posted career highs in doubles (34), home runs (25) and RBI’s (83) while playing in 157 games for the Astros. He enters the 2009 campaign with a career batting average of .292 with Houston.

In addition to Oswalt and Pence, Astros assistant general manager Ricky Bennett and television analyst and former Astros pitcher Jim Deshaies are slated to appear at the luncheon. Bennett enters his fifth season with the club while Deshaies embarks upon his 13th season in the TV booth. Deshaies spent portions of seven seasons as a pitcher for the franchise from 1985 through 1991.

Tickets to the luncheon are $25. Corporate table sponsorships for the luncheon and the annual South Texas Winter Baseball Banquet, scheduled for February 5, are available by contacting Elisa Macias at 361-561-4673. Proceeds from the sale of luncheon and banquet tickets benefit the Corpus Christi Miracle League project. For more information, please call 361-561-HOOK.

Kyle Young

Lifetime Member
Credits
I would be able to 50-50 Blum and Hawkins on cards.
if anyone is interested please pm me

thanks

-Ky

Airborne2323

Premier Member
Credits
funny, I could have sworn I posted in this thread already.

82brewers

Lifetime Member
Credits
PAYING CASH OR PAYPAL

if anyone is going to the signing where manager cecil cooper will appear at, i need a BLANK, UNSIGNED promo card if they offer one.

Airborne2323

Premier Member
Credits
Looks like Bagwell will most likely be at Academy right after the event on Lackland. Its about time they brought him to SA though.