Anybody see the ticket prices for the Matt Cain signing at Leftys?

Orioles_Fan_1983

Premier Member
Credits
The vast majority of professional athletes end up broke or worse within 5 years of retirement, which is why so many players begin charging less and less after their careers are over. As Islandman said, while they're playing (and earning huge paychecks), something like an autograph signing has to be worth a comparable amount for their time. If they're retired, and in need of income, they're likely to take smaller fees for appearances.

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
Agree that the price is absolutely ridiculous, but Cain has quietly been one of the most consistent pitchers of the past 7 or 8 years. Definitely better than mediocre

He's a .500 pitcher who aside from this year walks a few too many guys. Decent ERA, whip is a little higher than you'd like out of your #2. He's definitely not a bad pitcher but he's not a Randy Johnson or Verlander.

psugator02

Lifetime Member
Credits
He's a .500 pitcher who aside from this year walks a few too many guys. Decent ERA, whip is a little higher than you'd like out of your #2. He's definitely not a bad pitcher but he's not a Randy Johnson or Verlander.

espn had a nice story about this recently. it might have been hershiser who said it. cain has generally been regarded as a #2 but just this year was moved into the elusive fraternity of those pitchers who are called "aces." derek: don't know what giants' games you've been watching but cain is damn good. and he hasn't simply been good this year....he's been good for 3-5 years now......

cain:

1. is not bad? that's the best you can do. not only is he 'not bad' but he's VERY good and one of the top pitchers in baseball
2. he's not randy johnson or verlander????? this is just a stupid comment

scoreset

Credits
He's no Ricky Nolasco. Thanks for your critique.

As an attempt to sound less "stupid" I meant that those prices are approaching Randy Johnson range. Put it this way, he doesn't throw his perfecto this year and there's no way people pay that money for Cain. Sorry bout it.

Last edited:

Lofton0788

Lifetime Member
Credits
Cain's W-L record is hampered by two years where he pitched well (WARS of 4.4 and 4.3 respectively...6th and 9th best in the NL) but was criminally unsupported by the offense. His ERA+ is 12th best among active players, and he is top 15 in most other advanced metrics. Not saying he is a true #1, but definitely a great #2 guy at the minimum.

But I don't mean to take over this thread to argue the semantics of the greatness of Matt Cain. 180 bucks for his signature is absurd, though I'm sure there will probably be a bunch of people who pay it for some reason or another.

scoreset

Credits
I love stat debates...lol. It gets to the point of splitting hairs. If you have to go to WAR and ERA+ to make a compelling argument about a guy, chances are he's not in the elite class. Ok, he's better than mediocre, but still grossly overpriced.

Captain54

Premier Member
Credits
Wow ....i'm glad I got all of them when they came to DC (Cain, Posey, Lithicum, Melky and Pablo) !!!!

powership

Lifetime Member
Credits
Wow ....i'm glad I got all of them when they came to DC (Cain, Posey, Lithicum, Melky and Pablo) !!!!

Can you post some pics? Especially would like to see how your Lithicum turned out.

sMatt

Founding Member
Credits
All of the prices at those Lefty's signings are way out of the range of what they're "worth". I think their market is mostly local Giants fans that don't really know what memorabila is worth. Any random guy on the Giants roster that most of the baseball world has never heard of would be $25/autograph and would probably sell out.