Michael Jordan Signing!

SI KING

Lifetime Member & Site Sponsor
Website
www.sikingcollection.com
Credits
I have done signings with my Upper Deck Rep in the past. They will allow authorized individuals like myself to take it items with wholesale pricing. I took in about 40 items for Jordan last time I did a signing with Upper Deck. It was the most frustrating thing though. They delayed the signing for a month. Then another, then another. 4 months went by and I felt as if I was getting jerked around by Upper Deck. They probably didn't get enough pieces for Jordan to do a signing so they just put it off many months until they did. Was not a great experience although the signatures were real, had UD holograms and in the end it all worked out. BUT JORDAN REFUSED TO SIGN SI MAGAZINES through Upper Deck. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH UPPER DECK. THEY ARE IN VERY BAD FINANCIAL RUINS AND HAVE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF UNPAID DEBT. They are in deep sh*t so please be careful and get contracts in writing before any of you do anything. I dont know the guy offering the signing, but I am sure he is doing everything he can to make it work. He is not a concern at all... rather Upper Deck is the one I am worried about. I've done 3 signings with Jordan, LeBron and Garnett and each one ran 4-6 months where I was begging people to have patience. It wasn't nice being jerked around by UD and I hated to have my reputation hurt by UD and having to explain to good collectors that they need to wait longer. Just wanted to share all this with you.

beastinbigal

Premier Member
Credits
Good piece Scott.

bradleysupplies

Premier Member
Website
www.bradleysupplies.com
Credits
To echo Scott's comments, I was a participant in one of his past UD signings and he did a great job communicating everything out. That being said, I would heed his warning and ask if the gentleman running this signing has the financial capability to refund those who would participate, should UD not follow through on their obligation and have the money disappear in bankruptcy court. Given their situation it could get very ugly.

We have had a similar instance occur on another collector site where an organizer had made a significant deposit with an athlete and is unable to get it back - and he is refusing to refund money (saying he doesn't have it) - but as the end customer, that's not my (our) problem. There are a lot of people out a lot of money.