Phillies Fanfest Clearwater 2011

rickphils1

Lifetime Member
Credits
Here is the latest email from today (Tuesday) experience at the field from an old collector who lives in Clearwater:

Not one person got an autograph today at Carpenter. They are leaving by walking from the field to the stadium. I did not go out until noon and everyone was bitching as not ONE player signed.
I went to the stadium side of the fence and got Ryne Sandberg to sign the HOF yearbook. Gillick also signed a nice photo and put HOF 2011 on it. I got Mayberry Jr. to start my team bat.
I got a few coaches to sign at the fence but I left by 3:15 pm as everything was done.
It is a waste of time to go to Carpenter as absolutely no one is signing.

dylanphillies

Premier Member
Credits
Thanks for the posts....I am heading down the weekend of March 4 for 3 games....do you guys/gals....expect the graphing to better on game days?

rickphils1

Lifetime Member
Credits
In the past some of the guys sign before the game, some like Rollins will sign when he comes out of the game along the 3rd baseline. It's always hit or miss. Last year I went early when they were working out at the Carpenter complex and got Werth a couple of times, Howard, Hamels, Rollins and a few others. Sounds like things are not going well this year at the Complex and hopefully that isn't a sign of what happens at the games.

rickphils1

Lifetime Member
Credits
The guys I got last year early where changing fields at Carpenter Complex (running drills one field, hitting another, etc). This year it doesn't sound like that is happening. At the games, they often don't come out till 12:30 with games at 1 PM. If Utley signs it's before game. Some other guys last year signed the rail before the game on the way to the dugout (Lidge for one). Victorino signs when there are camera crews. When Rollins and Howard sign its coming off the field. after they come out of the game.

dj chipper

Banned
Credits
Im going down on Friday and i hope that things change but it doesnt sound promising..especially if Charlie gets driven in and out...At least im hoping Gload, Valdez, Dom ,carpenter etc sign as i dont expect alot of stars to in front..Its really ashame they cancelled fanfest in C water but this team has never been really easy in past few years but now its gonna be a struggle in C water..I will try to update you as im down there...Not good news so far from down there..Weather at least warmer than up north...

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
I am going to stay positive and hope that they will sign well during the games. Maybe charlie is only getting rides for practice. he is usually the one who preaches that the guys shouldnt be in the back in the first place,so its kind of hypocritical of him to keep getting a ride. If I dont do well this year, I will still attend every year but just shorten my trip. I will also update everyone while I am there.

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
Im going down on Friday and i hope that things change but it doesnt sound promising..especially if Charlie gets driven in and out...At least im hoping Gload, Valdez, Dom ,carpenter etc sign as i dont expect alot of stars to in front..Its really ashame they cancelled fanfest in C water but this team has never been really easy in past few years but now its gonna be a struggle in C water..I will try to update you as im down there...Not good news so far from down there..Weather at least warmer than up north...

I wonder if they will still be offering game used memorabilia down there? maybe during regular spring training games?

KenJ

Lifetime Member
Credits
Michelle - from Rick's post on the first page of the thread:
"Each year, the Phillies raised funds for charities in Clearwater through the FanFest. Good news: the fund-raising efforts will continue through auctions during the Grapefruit League season."

Last edited:

KenJ

Lifetime Member
Credits
In the past some of the guys sign before the game, some like Rollins will sign when he comes out of the game along the 3rd baseline.

My experience last year was that the ushers moved everyone without a ticket in the first two rows out of sections 119 & 120 exactly 30 minutes before game time. As the last grapher starts walking up the steps - like clockwork - the players emerge from the left field entrance to the field. Unless you have a seat in the first two rows of section 119 or 120 or are in the picnic area you have little to no shot at these guys inside.

That said - it sounds like it might be time to plan a couple fishing excursions the mornings before games and hopefully it's warm enough to spend some time on the beach!

And I am convinced that the line about Charlie telling the players to park out front is BS. If he were serious they would do it. And now that he is being driven in there is no doubt that it is BS.

Last edited: