november 2011 suntimes show

FigmentofYour

Premier Member
Credits
Mark Heller said that the official prices will come out next week.

Good work SoBrave!

I dropped that money for a Randy stat ball at the National. Dont see why I wouldn't do it again for Maddux! Pretty excited about dropping a couple to get a couple balls done. 300 win ball here we go!

SoonerOrLater

Premier Member
Credits
The last couple Suntimes shows seem to have less and less dealers. I would say maybe 1/3 the size. They usually get about 50-60 or so autographs guests over Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

nbrock624

Premier Member
Credits
Yeah the autograph lineups are not smaller per day at all and are pretty much of equal quality. But, Sooner is right that the number of dealers has been shrinking. Really only 2-3 dealers with substantial amounts of wax product. They've probably at this point really good shows for autograph collectors but not as much for baseball card collectors. As for the pricing of Maddux, I have no real issue with the flats/balls pricing even though it's much higher than his private signings of late. But, I would quibble with the premium pricing being much too high. I think $199 would have been far more appropriate but it's hard when a guy like Maddux really doesn't need the money

kenoshacub

Premier Member
Credits
nothing can compare to the size of the national. sun times is basically an autograph show people go for the guests. the dealers are the same ones over and over never anything new

Never used to be that way. It was great years ago. But that was before Mounted took it over. When George Johnson ran the shows it was great. Quality signers, great dealers. Now it's all about how much money MM can squeeze out of us and the dealers. That's why a lot of them don't show any more.

nbrock624

Premier Member
Credits
Not agreeing or disagreeing about George Johnson/MM but to be fair the size of the show really changed starting in November 2008 so the economic collapse changed the scope of the show more than any other factor in my opinion. The rollbacks were really created to address that new reality

jtrinaldi

Lifetime Member
Credits
I almost fell off the chair when I saw Mad Dog was added! FINALLY a Cub worthy of a line a mile long. I will be shocked if it is anything lower than $129 and up. $50 for insc. sounds right too. I've collected autos for 12 years now, and I do not recall him ever doing a Paid show signing. Is that right?
did a signing at a peoria cheifs for $50 an item last year

greedy19

Lifetime Member
Credits
Thanks, jrtinaldi...I do remember that one. I meant at an autograph show. $50 was an incredible price for him. I actually got him once inside Wrigley near the restaurant where they walk to the bus. His whole sig on my ball was smaller than my thumbnail.

I agree the shows had a different vibe under Johnson. The economy hurts, sure, but there is so much fake stuff and outrageous prices. That's why it's always the same old stuff.