Private Signing Rules & Regulations

alexsautographs

Founding Member
Website
www.alexsautographs.com
Credits
I don't think there should be an item limit. I mean, this board isn't suffering from a signing without a lot of participation. The posters and members aren't individually, except maybe the person holding the signing. So I'm not sure why there are rules to dictate how much demand there has to be before the signing can take place.

I mean, a signing that helps 15 people with one item each is just as important to those people as is a signing with 100 items that need to be signed from 100 different people.

alanmoore

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
Again, read the rules I have in place and no where does it say THERE HAS TO BE 100 items. I merely stated that no one on this board should be contacting players and former players that there really isn't an interest on. And don't give me an argument on "you don't know who will have interest until you announce it to the group". That crap doesn't fly. I approached Anderson because I KNEW people would jump on it and in 2 signings there were close to 350-400 items if memory serves me right. Faison should have never been approached. For the handful of people who sent their items in, they could have just as well mailed it directly to the guy and he would have done them all.

I am stepping in NOW before this gets out of hand. The players I have approached include Anderson, Longoria, Alex Gordon, Ricky Williams and soon hopefully Drew Henson. I contacted these players for the reasons stated above and on the other pages. I feel that if I don't nip this in the bud now, others will continue contacting people who should never be contacted about doing a signing, just so they can puff up their online egos' and graph cred. It ain't happening here.

In all the years of SASE or TPA, how many signings did anyone here setup? ANSWER: I don't think again or at least I was told none.

I take responsibility for what's going on here because I gave many of you the idea that it's possible for a non-promoter to do these on their end. I am almost sorry I opened this Pandora Box because it wasn't my intention of having "kids" send out letters to every athlete in their area so they can go meet them, get peoples stuff signed and maybe make enough money to buy a box of 1990 Score baseball. LOL!

The rules are the rules. If you want to announce your signings here, abide by them. OR ELSE!

Last edited by a moderator:

huffman

Lifetime Member
Credits
Agreed, if there isn't enough interest on here to get 50-100+ items then the athlete shouldnt be approached in the 1st place.

Alan,

This is where I got the impression that you couldn't approach players unless it was 50+ items.

Why should have Faison never been approached? Someone was creative enough to find him and make contact for that and if they follow your rules and regulations, what's the harm?

Who cares if it's not 50+, as long as the promoter is proffessional and things get taken care of correctly, I really don't see the issue.

However, this being the case Sean must do this the right way. It can't be like Antonelli where the price magically doubles after people have sent stuff in. If that happens it's on the promoter to cover the overages once he quotes a price and people pay up.

Also, who are you reffering to as a kid? I'm 20 years old (in my best Mike Gundy voice), I hardly think I qualify as a kid.

-Ryan

alanmoore

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
Ryan, I am not talking about you man. I was generalizing given some emails/PM's I have received from "kids" asking for my advice on how to set these up. I ignored every one of the PM's.

I got no beef with you. You are one of the guys on this site that I respect whether you are 20 or 70 doesn't matter to me and obviously a HUGE part of making the Longoria signing go down.

PS - I still stand behind my belief that you shouldn't be contacting people just to do a signing. There has to be a need. However, I have not added a rule about the # of items needed for a signing to be announced on this site. I just gave my opinion and at this time, that is all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

huffman

Lifetime Member
Credits
Alan,

It's all good man. Nothing but hugs and handpounds from me.

I was just a little concerned that's all.

I do agree though about ignoring those PM's, if you can't figure it out on your own, you shouldn't be doing it.

-Ryan

bc81758

Charter Member
Credits
Is the only need here then for all of Alan's 47 sets?
Funny how I got messages stating this site is not going to serve his own purposes but I see it in a lot of posts where the focus seems to be that way.
oh well.

Laurens

Founding Member
Credits
I remember a member on the SASEsportssigs boards, setting up a 'private' signing with many of the latin stars through the mail a few years ago i.e. Pedro, Pujols, Santana, Papi, et al.

I think some of the items got done, but in the end the middleman [who was supposed to get the items signed] probably wanted more per signature and there were some snags in the end.

Honestly, I don't get why there are private signings for particular 'has beens or never has beens,' but with that said, I think any private signings should only be done by professionals [like a card shop, the owner of this forum and/or an individual promoter with a good reputation].

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits
Honestly, I don't get why there are private signings for particular 'has beens or never has beens,' but with that said, I think any private signings should only be done by professionals [like a card shop, the owner of this forum and/or an individual promoter with a good reputation].

Again, I just think it comes down to credibility. I don't believe you need to be a professional promoter or card shop owner. You just have to plan it PROPERLY and have all the t's crossed and i's dotted before taking any items or money. If someone can prove to Alan that the signing has a 99% or better chance of going off without a snag, then it shouldn't matter if 10 people need the player or 1000.

Last edited:

elpasodiablos

Lifetime Member
Credits
I remember a member on the SASEsportssigs boards, setting up a 'private' signing with many of the latin stars through the mail a few years ago i.e. Pedro, Pujols, Santana, Papi, et al.

I think some of the items got done, but in the end the middleman [who was supposed to get the items signed] probably wanted more per signature and there were some snags in the end.

I believe he was only charging $25 for the Pujols autographs. I took part in the signing and got my money back, but he never send the card back.

sMatt

Founding Member
Credits
You sure did insinuate that it was MY fault because I didn't prep your cards when they came in by putting your name on the back. That is your responsbility and will be listed from here on out on every signing I do with sent in items.

I didn't get the impression that he was blaming you in that post but there may have been more discussed in PMs. The way I read it is that it should be a rule that all items be labeled (either by the promoter or the sender). I think this is a very good thing to express to everyone as it wasn't something I thought about when I was sending items in.