2009 Phillies Phestival

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
theres not. i had 10 booths one yr and i got doubles. i got it done only because i had help. also, its not guaranteed youll meet every guy. you could get double numbers. if he has a number for each booth, he must work for the phils bc theres no way that happens.

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
i just assumed he was a he lol. could be a girl. i figure whoever it is works for the team. you gotta have tons of money otherwise to have all those tickets. a few of the phestival tickets are popping up there now but are going for 60 or more a ticket.

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
just so everyone knows, ill be there on monday and im willing to trade numbered booths if you need someone i have and vice versa. if anyone wants to meet up, let me know :)

KenJ

Lifetime Member
Credits
Interesting.....

My first Phestival and it was interesting to say the least. As others mentioned there is no way you are going to see everybody! Autograph session was two hours, 6:00-8:00 PM.

I had a #2 (Davey Lopes/Milt Thompson) I got with my admission ticket plus one exchange. When we got there at 1:00 there were 4 lines for the exchange and it was a crapshoot - especially when Ryan Howard wasn't there due to the flu. My 10 year old and I lucked out because we were in the line that included the exchange for Utley. Once they posted what players were going to be in what booths, the lines on our side shifted all over, apparently to get Hamels.

Then the guy behind us coudn't make up his mind so he gave us an exchange ticket plus a second exchange to get him an Utley. I also bought another exchange for $5. Before entering I had tickets for Lopes/Thompson, Utley/Mackanin, Ruiz/Dubee and Bruntlett/Coste. For our team WS bat I needed all of these except Coste.

We made a slight mistake waiting in line for 2 grab bags (signed JC Romero hat in one, NL Champions hat and Utley helmet in the other) and then waited to rolled the dice (Phillie Phanatic book and nice World Champs t-shirt). By the time we got to the Utley waiting area we were way back and ended up waiting over an hour! We raced from Utley to Ruiz which was much faster and learned that Hamels line was now taking cash ($10). We got there just before they cut off the line and got two for $20: the bat and a WS ball (that he wouldn't sign on the sweet spot OR underneath the WS logo :() We then raced back to Bruntlett and a girl said it was cut off so we tried Lopes/Thompson but they had left. We went back and they let us in the Bruntlett line since we had a ticket!

The net of the night:
On the WS bat: Utley, Hamels, Ruiz, Bruntlett and Dubee to increase our total to 12.
WS Ball: Hamels
OMLB multi: Mackanin, and Coste
Auto Hat: JC Romero
Other: World Champs Tee, Utley Helmet, Phillie Phanatic book
Total spent: $105 ($30 for admission, $5 for one exchange ticket, $20 for 2 Hamels, $40 for 2 grab bags, $10 for two rolls of the dice)

Would have liked to have gotten the Lopes/Thompson on the bat but I'll see Thompson on 8/8 at a card show.

Sidenotes:
  • It was fun watching folks trying to trade auto tickets before things got started. Girl behind me traded a Rollins for a Ruiz/Dubee. Others were walking around with a fistful of tickets and if you got Hamels and Utley you weren't getting more than a couple others without help!
  • JC Romero would have signed until next Monday if they didn't have a plane to catch tonight to head for Florida. They had to drag him out of his booth.
  • Hamels started signing alot earlier than Utley - which probably cost us the Lopes/Thompson

All-in-all it was a pretty good night and something I'll do again, especially if I still need a bunch on the WS Bat come next year.

Thanks again to those who provided the good info and helped make it a success for us.

KenJ

Last edited:

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
ken you didnt do too bad. i did really well but i was there at 12pm and i wheeled and dealed with my tickets and bought some numbered ones and traded off. i opted not to get utley since i knew the line would be horrible. i did well with ibanez and werth. i ran to get hamels for 10 bucks but i knew hamels would sweet spot the ball or logo the ws. i think he has a deal somewhere where hes paid to sign there. i got through feliz's line pretty quick. i heard rollins was 15-20 mins to his line. he is never on time for anything. i traded his number away to get an ibanez. i was able to pay 5 bucks to get into the madson and taschner line. i got bruntlett and coste to add to my mini helmet. i bought 2 grab bags and got a romero ball and victorino ball. my friend did well also, we got lucky in our section. im not sure what i spent..i know it was over 200.00 overall with tickets to get in, food, souvenirs, extra booths but it was worth it.

KenJ

Lifetime Member
Credits
Crowd - in general - was large and adult. I thought there would be alot more kids (14 & under) there. This was my first one so can't compare to previous years. I would say the crowd was mostly 20-40. I think the WS championship had a whole lot to do with it.

I observed that the younger kids had a single ball and were getting a couple autographs on them while most of the adults were like us, working on some piece of WS memorabilia to get signed by all or a group of players.

Women were crazy about Utley and Werth. I thought we were going to need EMT's for the 20-something girls waiting for Utley. Girl behind us waiting to get in the park spent $20 for a Werth ticket and about fainted when she got it.

It was interesting watching how people handled the non-stars at tables with stars. They paired bench coach Pete Mackanin with Chase Utley. We got Utley on the bat and had a ball we'll try for 2009 team over the course of the season for Mackanin. I think alot of folks just skipped Mackanin.

Should also mention that when we got to the Dubee/Ruiz table the woman in front of me asked to see Rich Dubee's WS ring. He took it off and let her try it on and it was HUGE!

Last edited:

graphgoddess

Premier Member
Credits
it usually is more adult i think because you have to wait hours to get in line and the wait beforehand. most kids dont like the long wait which can be an 8 hour day. there are always huge lines for utley and the girls are always gaga over him and werth. i knew someone who bought an utley ticket for 100.00!! they usually put a lesser name with the big guys. most of the time its 2 guys per booth but bc myers and howard being out some of the bigger guys this yr were alone. alot of adults do go to get their team items done or to get things for their kids or wives. i know alot of people who go together and seperate inside into different lines to get things done. its always a long day but its worth it