Anyone going to Yankees Charity Auto Luncheon on 3/29 In Tampa?

Big Mac McGwire

Premier Member
Credits
is anyone on here in the tampa area going
or have gone in the past ?

i am going and i heard they only sign for
25 minutes. I know Robbie Lee went last year and
got jeter , i dont know how it works.

cartographer

Premier Member
Credits
This event is long gone, but just FYI from a veteran of the event:

All the Yankee players on the major league roster are supposed to appear at the signing. The only exception is that day's starting pitcher (it usually takes place on the same day as a scheduled night game). There are occasions when people don't show up anyway due to injury or WBC commitments, but this year, I think everyone was there except Nova, Martin and Soriano. Their special instructors usually show up also, so Jackson, Gossage, Tino Martinez and Guidry have been there in recent years also.

For the regular admission ticket, the Yankees sign for 25 minutes. Every player and coach has a separate line and of course, Jeter always has the longest line. Rivera had a long line this year and Rodriguez, Cano, Sabathia and Texeira had a fair number of people waiting also. The lesser starters, relievers and bench players usually have no one or just a few people in line. If you're in line early enough and you get in his line immediately, you can get Jeter but you probably won't get anyone else popular. I spoke to one guy this year who got in Jeter's line right away and barely got him before they called time.

They also offer a VIP ticket that gets you in for an extra 20 minutes if you're willing to put up more money. It's not cheap but there are a lot fewer people in the ballroom for the exclusive period and it's possible to get the whole team (minus the MIAs) if you're in line early enough. I took this option and I got everyone I wanted except Jackson. Or if you just want the stars and don't mind bending the rules, you can try to double up on Jeter, Rodriguez and the popular guys. I spoke to one guy who got Jeter and Rodriguez twice and got a few lesser players as well.

Bottom line is that it's a good event but it costs money and you have to make choices. If your budget can stand it, I'd go for the VIP ticket unless you don't care about Jeter. You can go to the Boys and Girls Club of Tampa website for the date of next year's event. Tickets will go on sale around December 2012.