LJ Hoes private signing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan92s

Lifetime Member
Credits
Approved by Alan

I would like to announce a private signing with Orioles prospect, 81st overall pick, and a member of team USA- L.J. Hoes. LJ is only 18 years old and already showed strong numbers in the GCL this past season.

“At the plate, he has good bat speed and accelerates his wrists well, generating some backspin and wearing out the right side of the field. (His high school's home field has a relatively close fence in right, but no fence in left, so as a right-handed hitter, Hoes has tailored his approach to go the other way.) He showed excellent recognition of offspeed pitches, staying back on a curveball for a base hit to the left side, then singling to right on a slider away. He tends to glide forward as he gets his front foot down, and as a result doesn't get his lower half involved enough when he makes contact. Hoes is an average runner with a slightly above-average arm, pitching at 86-87 mph in a late-game relief stint. If he can handle center, he's a potential big-league regular who should hit for average and get on base, but he doesn't project to have the power teams desire in a corner outfielder if he has to move to left or right field.” – Keith Law

I have been in contact with LJ and the signing is set to be done early-mid March when he is in Sarasota for minor league spring training with the Orioles. At 18 years old LJ is expected to be a part of the orioles future and I know some people could be interested in set cards or just adding his signature.

We are going to accept both mail-ins and purchases from us.

LJ cards can be found in sets including 2008 donruss elite, 2008 UD USA, 2008 bowman draft, 2008 bowman chrome draft

MAIL-INS
Cards only- $3 plus SASE
Balls/photos/etc- please contact me through pm

OUR ITEMS
Cards- $5 dlvd
Baseball (OMLB)- $18 dlvd
Photos (8x10s only- future star photo)- $10 dlvd

With any questions please contact me through pm or at ryanjs8@yahoo.com

Please send any mail-ins to:

Ryan Seidl
7699 Aralia Way
Largo, FL 33777

ALL orders must be in by February 20th as the signing could happen very early in March.

Credits
Seriously, this is insane. If anyone needs him, send them to me and I'll get them for free in ST. Stevebaseball autographs will help with it. There is no need to be arranging these private signings just to say you did it. When I put my Pat Cline signing together, I'm doing it for free! Encouraging payment for autographs is a bad idea.

H-TownSuns

Founding Member
Credits
Seriously, this is insane. Encouraging payment for autographs is a bad idea.

Fact, esp. for a guy who was drafted last year and might not even see Full Season A-Ball this year. There's no reason to think LJ won't sign very well for at the very least, the next few seasons, why even tempt him with money early in his career?

ryan92s

Lifetime Member
Credits
Seriously, this is insane. If anyone needs him, send them to me and I'll get them for free in ST. Stevebaseball autographs will help with it. There is no need to be arranging these private signings just to say you did it. When I put my Pat Cline signing together, I'm doing it for free! Encouraging payment for autographs is a bad idea.

Thanks great if you are not interested. However there is more to it... first of all you are guaranteed the best autograph possible out of him since it is a private signing. Also with the private signing comes a chance of game-used items and the items will first be offered to those who participated in the signing. You can say what you want but I have talked to Hoes quite a few times now and this signing isn't going to "ruin" him... it just helps people get their item done who can't get him in-person for a minimal fee

Credits
Hey , if people want in great. I'll do it for nothing. We should help each other out. Throwing money at players just ruins the hobby and makes it more cost prohibitive for people without a ton of cash to spend. You figure 3 bucks here for this guy, 5 bucks for that guy, and before you know it, you are spending a ton of cash without ever getting the experience of meeting the player and taking pride that you got it signed yourself. I sold my Sarasota set for cost as a way of sharing with the graphing community, and even got it signed for people. That is how this should be done. I saw a private signing for former Red Sox prospect John Curtice the was .75 per. That is a little more realistic, though I'd still offer it for free. Money ruins everything if you let it, and I can't get excited about paying for guys who would sign for free. If it keeps up, I'll start doing private signings and do it for no charge.

I also want to address a couple points. I doubt his signature varies much since he isn't in great demand, and also, with this board being around, you can get anyone you want, we have people all over the country.

El Scorcho

Lifetime Member
Credits
Hey , if people want in great. I'll do it for nothing. We should help each other out. Throwing money at players just ruins the hobby and makes it more cost prohibitive for people without a ton of cash to spend. You figure 3 bucks here for this guy, 5 bucks for that guy, and before you know it, you are spending a ton of cash without ever getting the experience of meeting the player and taking pride that you got it signed yourself. I sold my Sarasota set for cost as a way of sharing with the graphing community, and even got it signed for people. That is how this should be done. I saw a private signing for former Red Sox prospect John Curtice the was .75 per. That is a little more realistic, though I'd still offer it for free. Money ruins everything if you let it, and I can't get excited about paying for guys who would sign for free. If it keeps up, I'll start doing private signings and do it for no charge.

I also want to address a couple points. I doubt his signature varies much since he isn't in great demand, and also, with this board being around, you can get anyone you want, we have people all over the country.

AMEN TO THAT! Thank God someone else sees this the way that I do. This is insane....I made the offer to help with Matusz and some people took me up on it....it sounds like what this kid is doing is fishing on myspace or facebook - tossing an email out there offering money for autographs....ridiculous. Hoes is going to sign stacks and stacks if you just give him a chance! Good grief.

Alan - you really need to think about this. If this board is truly the best of the best - and this is the place to be - then you need to think about which way this whole thing is going. I feel like a broken record saying this! Yeah, its only 3 bucks, or whatever. Dont give me a line about getting a good, non-rushed autograph. BS. But where does it end? I can see paying for John Curtice or Frank Williams or anyone else that has disappeared from the face of the planet - but we all know exactly where LJ Freaking Hoes is going to be for the next 5-6 years! AL is right - this board is/WAS about helping people - and not CHARGING people. Alan - your thoughts? You are a businessman - do you want to cater to 95% of your board - or 5% of your board?

Autograph Amy

Founding Member
Credits
Draft picks from last year ALREADY being approached for private signings? I agree with the last few posts...its totally unneccessary to approach these kids at this stage in their careers. There are plenty of people on here who can and will help others out for the sake of HELPING ...not merely to say that "I arranged a private signing for Joe First Round Draft Pick when he was in the minors..and look at all the stuff he signed for me. "
Best autograph possible? Yeah I'll buy that to a point but I really think the reason for some of these signings is "status" on this board. Its certainly not to help people out the way you claim. You want to say "I know this player" and brag about it. If these signings arent going to "ruin" Hoes...then what is the point of doing the signing.?
Sure, you can say we dont' have to participate if we don't want..but lately this has been taken to a ridiculous level. its certainly opinion of more than a few people on the site that these kids sign for free plenty now. And that the need for these few signings isn't neccessary....there are guys on this site from all over who are willing to help for free....just an opinion though!

Status
Not open for further replies.