Private Signing Rules & Regulations

Captian23

Founding Member
Credits
The insurance suggestion was to and from the athlete along with Delivery Conformation which is free with on line priority.

As for the Stauffer signing, the cards were lost in the mail coming back from Stauffer. Huffman offered to refund everyones money along with $1 per card. I don't think that will be necessary for most of us. I am waiting to hear back from him.

I know that I personally have spent a bunch of money on stuff and have not seen much back. I think a lot of it was due to a learning curve of the people doing the signing. I absolutely think everyone had no intention of having problems, but the bottom line is EVERY one so far has.

Everyone needs to understand these are not rules to be a dictator or to make everyone upset. This is just common sense. The is a structure, a way to standardize the process. I f you actually read the rules nowhere did it say that there would be no more signings. What it said was you have to have a signing in place before you advertise it and the terms need to be in place before you take any money. It also says you need to have some credibility before you get to collect $$ form the members. This is still the INTERNET folks and with all the exposure we will have a few more citizens in this town. The more people the more chance for a crime. Think of this like a neighborhood watch.

sprtsstar4ever

Founding Member
Credits
Everyone needs to understand these are not rules to be a dictator or to make everyone upset. This is just common sense. The is a structure, a way to standardize the process. I f you actually read the rules nowhere did it say that there would be no more signings. What it said was you have to have a signing in place before you advertise it and the terms need to be in place before you take any money. It also says you need to have some credibility before you get to collect $$ form the members. This is still the INTERNET folks and with all the exposure we will have a few more citizens in this town. The more people the more chance for a crime. Think of this like a neighborhood watch.

Thats pretty much common sense right there. Anyone who didn't do that before, had no idea what they were doing.

scoreset

Moderator & Founding Member
Credits

Yeah, like I said, I don't think anyone ever disputed this part. Makes complete sense and anyone who sets up a "signing" w/o having done the legwork to set it up is just foolish or naive. So....

My only beef was the insurance part. If we are talking only about to and from the athlete, that's different. That's a one time cost that can be spread out across everyone who participates and factored into the cost. That would be a negligible difference, taking a $1 cost to say, $1.50. Cool! No problems there. I just didn't want to see each member being forced to INDIVIDUALLY paying ins. on a $1 item, because the price scales on most of these signings didn't merit that.

As long as we're talking about just the main package to and from the athlete, I'm with it.

alanmoore

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
I could care less if the person getting the card back from the signing wants to pay for a bubble mailer or for insurance. I only refer to the items coming and going between the person holding the signing and the athlete.

Part of me feels personally responsible for all of these private signings because, correct me if I am wrong, but until I held the Ryan Anderson signing no one on this site ever thought about setting these things up. Then after that went down, it seems many people just got this idea in their head that its a cakewalk and I will send out letters to every athlete I have an address for. That is what I have seen here lately. Guys that have no real "value" to a large group of people and should have remained a 1-on-1 TTM request rather than 20-30 people sending their cards in for 50 cents to a $1.

Every athlete I approach, I do so because (a) I need them on items first and foremost and (b) I know a lot of others do to. There has to be a need or a want or none of us should be contacting these guys and offering money to them. I also want the rates in a contract 1st before advertised because I got alot of emails from people when one signing went from $1 to $2 after items were already sent in.

I am not going to name names about some of the guys setup here recently but part of me wants to shut this down completely and be the only one offering these deals because it amazes me some of the people that have been contacted. Contact someone good already so I can send my stuff in.

On a side note, I am excited about the Ricky Williams signing. I will finally get to meet the player in person and hang out while they bang out the signing. Plus its Miami, nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:

TPAMike

Founding Member
Credits
part of me wants to shut this down completely and be the only one offering these deals because it amazes me some of the people that have been contacted.

IMHO this is what you should do since you own the website.

Mike

BacktotheMinors

Founding Member
Credits
Don't shut down private signings. I've only participated in one so far but I still think its one of the best things available here. I read each of the threads for them and look forward to seeing who is available in the future. I just think it helps everybody. I totally agree with protecting people but don't go overboard, there are a ton of very good reputable people on this board that can be assets to everybody else. As the saying goes "**** happens". The new rules will eliminate a lot of problems but there still will be some every now and then . . . thats just the nature of the beast. I would only offer that the plusses far outweigh the minuses. I think we all know to limit our downside so nobody should get hurt too badly.
Problems will come up even at "professional" signings. I remember when I was a kid I was going to pay for my first autograph ever because my favorite player at the time was going to be locally. I went out and bought a bunch of stuff to get signed I couldn't afford (I was like 13). Well long story short Steve Lyons got traded a couple days before the show and I was devastated.

anyways . . . private signings are great. If we all just deal with people who can be trusted and leave good feedback about our experiences there shouldn't be too many problems.

Chad

Founding Member
Website
www.sportsautosttm.com
Credits

Part of me feels personally responsible for all of these private signings because, correct me if I am wrong, but until I held the Ryan Anderson signing no one on this site ever thought about setting these things up. Then after that went down, it seems many people just got this idea in their head that its a cakewalk and I will send out letters to every athlete I have an address for. That is what I have seen here lately. Guys that have no real "value" to a large group of people and should have remained a 1-on-1 TTM request rather than 20-30 people sending their cards in for 50 cents to a $1.

Yes, Yes, Yes....you hit the big points that I've seen as well. We went for the longest without any private signings and then all of a sudden the flood gates opened. I say you should take the lead on all future signings, nip it in the bud.

Babio55@verizon.net

Lifetime Member
Credits
i think all private signings should not be shut down, but cleared by you (ALAN) 1st for this reason...............

cause if someone sets up a signing w/ i dunno an arena football player that no one needs compared to say david tyree or whoever you should have say to were you can make it happen on this site or not
i'm sure if you dont accept it on this site it will go on another
but you should have the right to say what signing will go on this site and what signing will not because of everyone tryin to do it

but honestly dont stop it or make it just yours..........because that might narrow down the selctions for everyone

bottom line is u own the site you do what you want...... but it should be approved before posted on this site