St. Louis 3 Day show (lots of signers) Oct 26-28

hcbooker

Premier Member
Credits
Just to give whoever is going to the show a heads up. I got this emailed to me last night.

stlsportscollectors.com

It is with regret that we need to announce that Mr. Gwynn has been forced to reschedule his appearance this weekend. The fires in the San Diego area severly damaged his home and naturally he needs to be there to support his family and coordinate the reconstruction efforts. As a result, we have attempted to reschedule Mr. Gywnn as quickly as possible. He will be appearing at Two Hearts Banquet Center on our December 2nd show. As in the case of Fergie Jenkins, we are offering the public several options. First, if a refund is desired we will naturally provide that. Second, you can hold your tickets till the make up date. Lastly, you can drop off your item with us and we will get it signed and returned to you at our expense. Hopefully this scenario will work.

We sincerely apologize for this episode and hope that all of you keep Mr. Gwynn in your thoughts in his time of need.

Sincerely,
Dave

SoBrave

Charter Member
Credits
Encounters

Decided to write a quick something about each of my encounters while at the show in STL. 1st off getting up and driving to St.Louis at 4am from Chicago with a buddy is not the best way to spend your Saturday morning, but hey it was worth it for the end result.

Jim Bunning- Got a Picture signed of myself and him from a Chicago Show 2 years ago. He signed the picture "To:Rob Best Wishes Jim Bunning". Pretty Basic. He did not talk alot, just asked what I would like for my inscription and I thanked him.

Steve Carlton- Got 3 things signed by Lefty. Really Nice as always. I think this was my 4th time getting him at a show. Being from Philadelphia I acquire more and more things for him and Mike Schmidt to sign. He signed a 1980 World Series program with the inscription " 1980 WS Champions". He signed a picture of me and him from a show about 2 years ago with the inscription " To: Rob! Steve Carlton HOF 94". The last piece is a large art piece of Schmidt and Carlton that Schmidt had already signed with HOF and 1980 MVP. Carlton signed it then with " HOF 94 and 1980 Cy Young". Happy to get that piece done.

Gordie Howe- I decided to man up and pay the $109 to get Gordie Howe to sign a puck cause I do collect Hockey HOF'ers and its friggin Mr Hockey. When I hand my puck to Mr.Howe he looks at my shirt I was wearing and goes whats that? I tell him it was a shirt from the Budweiser brewery tour. He goes "ohhh thats a place everyone seems to go. I myself don't drink and you know why?". I kindly respond "No I don't" and he tells me that "When I was in my rookie year and was 17 years old my coach told me if I was ever subpeaoned for underage drinking that he would ship my ass right back to ****ing Saskatchawan". I thought that was so funny. I talked to Gordie Howe and he even cursed in our mini conversation. He also talked with alot of people telling them that Maple Leafs goalie Johnny Bower is a great friend and fishing buddy. Manny people were getting that picture signed by both. In a moment of weakness I found out that a vendor was selling Northland hockey sticks. I was only going to get Mr. Howe to sign a stick if it was a Northland but could not find one when I had over 3 weeks to search for it. They went out of business some time ago. I bought the Stick. Bought the Autograph Ticket, and went back upstairs to get my stick signed. He was just about to leave ( 45mins early) when I caught him standing up from his table. He looked at me with the stick in hand and said " You again?!" I explained to him that after some thought I had to get a stick signed by him. He signed the stick and I thanked him once again and told him it was an honor being able to finally meet him.

Overall the show was good and the prices were reasonable. I need to work off the Gordie Howe debt I did not plan. Machinst Hall reminded me more like a VFW then anything else after always going to shows in Rosemont at the Rosemont Convention Cntr. I liked it a little more. It was real quick to get around and get stuff done, just less of a selection of vendors and a lot more crowding of people and lines. I would go down again if a great lineup came out that I needed. Plus the lunch at Jack in the Box across the street was something you can't get up in Chicago....